Search is easy, right? You type a term in a search box and the exact page you’re looking for appears at the top of the list of results. But search is hard and has many shades of grey.
On April 10, 2014, Loren Siebert, our senior search architect, presented on:
- Complexities of recall and precision,
- Popular open source search technologies, and
- “Search magic” like stemming, synonyms, fuzziness, and stopwords.
Download the slide deck and visit the resources below to learn more.
- Download or learn about Elasticsearch (External link), Solr (External link), and Lucene (External link).
- Download the Snowball (External link) stemmer, or learn about other stemmers.
- Read how synonyms are handled in Lucene (External link).
- Download or use WordNet (External link) online.
- Connect with the American Society for Indexing’s Taxonomies & Controlled Vocabularies Special Interest Group (External link), SLA Taxonomy Division (External link), or Taxonomy Tuesdays (email Nikkia Anderson, co-chair).
- Contribute to our Jobs API, which allows you to tap into a list of current jobs openings with federal, state, and local government agencies.